Check out the highlights from DAFF 2019
10 Year Anniversary!
The Differently Abled Fun Fair, provided by Bishop Rosie S. O’neal and Koinonia Christian Center Church, has served individuals with severe and profound disabilities, their immediate families and caregivers for the past 10 years in Eastern North Carolina and the surrounding areas. The Differently Abled Fun Fair (DAFF) is a fun and free event to provide a fun, support, games, and resources to this important population. Guests receive invitations through media, attendance at the Special Olympics, regional community agencies serving individuals with special needs and the Exceptional Children’s Program for Pitt County Schools.
DAFF was founded by Bishop Rosie S. O’neal in 2009 to provide an opportunity for those with disabilities to feel accepted, loved, cared about and remembered. As a result, the Differently Abled Fun Fair has grown to serve more than 8,000 VIP guests and their families over a span of 11 years. Two years ago, this event expanded to the Greenville Convention Center where we have been able to reach more guests.
What makes the event so special is the volunteers who serve with heart, compassion, and attentiveness to VIP guests and their families throughout the day. In 2019, there were 200+ volunteers who joyfully donated their time to make this event a success. Those who volunteer treat every guest as the most important person in the room. Other elements that make the event unforgettable are:
• Commercial carnival rides and inflatables
• Haircuts for VIP guests by professional barbers
• Massages for caregivers
• A dance floor & DJ
• Stage shows
• Movies and snacks
• Food throughout the event (with special accommodations for those with dietary needs)
• Face painting
• Games and adaptive activities (with prizes)
• Onsite emergency responders
• Specialized exhibitors
• Community Agencies that are an available resource for VIP guests and their families (i.e. Autism Society, Pitt County Special Olympics, Pitt County Health Department, Eastern Carolina Vocational Center, etc)
• Event souvenirs
• An interactive photo station to capture memories
• Guest speakers & entertainers
• AND IT’S ALL FREE TO EVERY PARTICIPANT!
The members of Koinonia have been the major financial contributors to this awesome community event. Last year, Koinonia Christian Center invested more than $50,000 in the event to cover the venue and every element of DAFF so that families could enjoy it without cost, as it has been for the past 10 years! We will host the 2020 event on Saturday, May 30th and will utilize the entire Greenville Convention Center facility to provide more activities. This year’s theme will be Hawaiian Beach Party! We are so excited and grateful for the opportunity to remember and embrace this amazing population.
“God never forgets to remember those who remember the forgotten.” – Bishop Rosie S. O’neal